Smiley City Council voted to appoint Councilmembers Diana P. Moreno and Elisa Douglas to the Golden Crescent Regional Planning Commission (GCRPC.) According to its website, GCRPC is a regional voluntary association of local governments and other agencies.
GCRPC plans for the development of the region and assists local governments in carrying out regional plans and recommendations. Among other projects, the GCRPC helps with comprehensive planning and service delivery in program areas such as, aging, economic development, E9-1-1, solid waste management and rural transportation.
The GCRPC is one of 24 Texas regional planning boards and 670 across the United States. Earlier this month, fellow Gonzales County city Waelder appointed two councilmembers, Valentino Hernandez and Curtis Hadnot Jr., to the same board.
Other news from the meeting:
- No public comments were given.
- Consent agenda items, including minutes from the July 18 meeting, treasury report and payment of bills, were all approved.
- Marshal, municipal court and water/sewer reports were read.
- Discussions on an audit for fiscal year 2017-18 were tabled.
- Discussions on Hermann Sons Life Dance using the Community Center officially ended.
- Council opted to use remote-operated vehicles instead of a diver for its forthcoming 2019 tank inspections. Council contracted U.S. Underwater Services for the inspection at its July 18 meeting.
- The tax roll for Smiley, as prepared by Gonzales County Tax Assessor-Collector Crystal Cedillo, was accepted.
- Council approved a proposed 2019-20 budget.
- Council tabled proposing a tax rate until Cedillo could attend a meeting. Due to the postponement, no date to publish notices were set.
- Bills for recent repairs to police vehicles were presented to council. The cost will be taken from the City Marshal’s budget.