Social media rumors have been swirling this week regarding the status of the Hot Rods and Hatters event in Gonzales. Reports that the city is attempting to block the car show from returning to Gonzales in 2020 have been refuted by multiple city officials.
“No, there’s no truth to that,” Gonzales City Manager Tim Patek said of the rumors.
The car show made its Gonzales debut in February after seven years of being held in Lockhart. Both Patek and newly hired Gonzales Tourism Director Ashley Simper said the city is in support of the event returning in 2020.
“We fully believe this event is a good thing for Gonzales,” Simper said.
Per the Gonzales Convention and Visitors Bureau (GCVB) advisory board agenda posted Oct. 25, the GCVB board was to discuss a funding request from the event’s promoters at its Oct. 31 meeting, but a second agenda sent Oct. 29 did not display the Hot Rods and Hatters agenda item.
Simper said this alteration was made because she had been alerted on Oct. 28 that the promoters were not going to submit a funding request application to the board at this time. As of Oct. 30, the agenda displayed on the city building is still the original Oct. 25 agenda with the event’s funding request item.
When asked for comment, event liaison Rob Brown said there are still meetings and conversations to be had before anything is finalized. He urged any concerned citizens to “be patient” and that a statement will be made at a later time. “The Inquirer” also reached out to event organizer Joel Gammage for comment but did not hear back prior to publication.